72oz Steak Challenge Rules
72oz Steak Dinner Challenge Includes: Shrimp Cocktail, Baked Potato, Salad, with Roll, Butter, and of course the 72oz Steak
1. Entire meal must be completed in one hour. If any of the meal is not consumed (swallowed)…YOU LOSE!
2. Before the time starts, you will be allowed to cut into the steak, and take one bite. If the steak tastes good and is cooked to your satisfaction, we will start the time upon your acceptable approval. The time will not stop, and the contest is on, so make SURE before you say “yes.”
3. Once you have started you are not allowed to stand up, leave your table, or have anyone else TOUCH the meal.
4. You will be disqualified if anyone assists you in cutting, preparing or eating of your meal. This is YOUR contest.
5. You don’t have to eat the fat, but we will judge this.
6. Should you become ill, the contest is over… YOU LOSE! (Please use the container provided as necessary.)
7. You are required to pay the full amount up front; if you win we will refund 100%.
8.You must sit at a table that we assign.
9. If you do not win the steak challenge, you are welcome to take the leftovers with you.
10. No consumption or sharing of the leftovers is allowed in the restaurant once the contest is over.
11. If you fail to complete the challenge, you must pay the full $72 dollars.
Big Texan Steak Seasoning-Large
Our personal blend of spices that we use at the Big Texan our 72oz steaks at the restaurant. Only sold at the Big Texan Gift Shop in Amarillo Texas.
72oz Steak Hall of Fame
See all the 72oz steak winners from 1960 to present day!
Purchase Authentic 72oz Steak Winner Boards
Winner Board 9896-9909
This 72oz Steak Winner Sheet is in excellent condition. Plenty of good creative comments. Fastest time: 28:05
9898 12/16/20 Ruben G. McKenzie-Binne 51:41 290 45 Salem. OR Best meal ever:)
9899 12/16/20 Christopher McKenzie-Binne 53:12 280 24 Salem. OR Yay!!!!
9900 12/18/20 Micharl D. Shearer 51:08 240 35 Waxahachie, TX
9901 12/18/20 Josh Soroka 54:52 205 21 Arlington, TX
9902 12/19/20 Carlos Maldonado 50:06 350 34 Bay City TX Black cats fight never die Baycity TX.
9903 12/21/20 Kyle Newton 58:24 260 25 Nacodoches TX Psalms 23
9904 12/23/20 Jorge Granaclos 53:53 205 23 Los Angeles, CA Great food and even better people!
9905 12/26/20 Aavid Acker 39:38 230 29 Dallas, TX ROLL TIDE!!!
9906 12/28/20 Cliff Conuer 49:80 215 37 El Dorado, CA Great Steaks
9907 1/1/21 Anthony Rivas 57:00 236 21 Spring TX Full Just Full
9908 1/9/21 Mathew Stepanski 31:23 325 20 Frankfurt, MI Maybe everything is Texas isn’t that big after all?
9909 1/16/21 Tai Wollshlaer 28:05 285 31 Miami, FL Life is too short to bet the under 15/15/30
9910 1/19/21 Zackary Poyert 33:57 290 27 Farmington, NM “Harder then I thought.”
9911 1/23/21 Brandon 40:44 150 33 Nevada
72oz Steak History
The Legend Continues…
Soon after the original Route 66 Big Texan open it’s doors in 1960, owner Bob (RJ) Lee was amazed at how many REAL Texas Cowboys, were coming in for his HUGE TEXAS SIZE STEAKS, that his menu offered. He also saw how much fun his out of town patrons & visitors were having watching these true Texans trying to “out do” each others carnivorous appetites.
Most of his Big Cowboys dinners came from a near-by stockyard operation, & would stop in after a long days work. Friday’s was payday at the stockyard & he would cash their paychecks & offer 25 cent beer.
One Friday, he put several tables together in the center of the dinning room & sat all the cowboys together & told them he wanted to see who could eat the most one pound steaks in an hour. The cost was $5 per eater & whoever ate the most got to keep the entire entry-fee
The rules were simple; you could not get up during the contest or have anyone help you eat, you did not have to eat the fat & if you got sick, you were out. The cowboys put in their money,took a seat & the contest was on, steaks were flying.
One of the eaters took the lead by swallowing two steaks in ten minutes.Next,he politely requested a salad & a shrimp cocktail be served with his third steak. He consumed the extras, then this soft spoken giant called for his fourth steak & ask for a baked potato & a bread roll. He wasted little time on devouring those items & called for his fifth steak.
As the hour contest came to an end, this gastronomic superman had eaten:
4 & 1/2 pounds of steak, (which is 72 oz’s) baked potato,shrimp cocktail,salad & a bread roll.
In his amazement & delight of the crowd, Owner Bob (RJ) Lee stood up on a chair in the middle of the dinning room to proclaimed that: “from this day forward, anyone who could eat the entire 72 oz dinner-in one hour– gets it for FREE.
On that date in 1962 the legendary 72oz Steak Challenge was born & to this date the contests stands strong.
Watch guest eat the 72oz on our 24/7 live stream or on our Youtube channel!