72oz Steak Challenge Rules
You do not need to make reservation for challenge attempts. When you’re ready, we’re ready! Challenge attempts available during all regular business hours.
72oz Steak Dinner Challenge Includes: Shrimp Cocktail, Baked Potato, Salad, with Roll, Butter, and of course the 72oz Steak
1. Entire meal must be completed in one hour. If any of the meal is not consumed (swallowed)…YOU LOSE!
2. Before the time starts, you will be allowed to cut into the steak, and take one bite. If the steak tastes good and is cooked to your satisfaction, we will start the time upon your acceptable approval. The time will not stop, and the contest is on, so make SURE before you say “yes.”
3. Once you have started you are not allowed to stand up, leave your table, or have anyone else TOUCH the meal.
4. You will be disqualified if anyone assists you in cutting, preparing or eating of your meal. This is YOUR contest.
5. You don’t have to eat the fat, but we will judge this.
6. Should you become ill, the contest is over… YOU LOSE! (Please use the container provided as necessary.)
7. You are required to pay the full amount up front; if you win we will refund 100%.
8.You must sit at a table that we assign.
9. If you do not win the steak challenge, you are welcome to take the leftovers with you.
10. No consumption or sharing of the leftovers is allowed in the restaurant once the contest is over.
11. If you fail to complete the challenge, you must pay the full $72 dollars.
Big Texan Steak Seasoning-Large
Our personal blend of spices that we use at the Big Texan our 72oz steaks at the restaurant. Only sold at the Big Texan Gift Shop in Amarillo Texas.
72oz Steak Hall of Fame
See all the 72oz steak winners from 1960 to present day!
Purchase Authentic 72oz Steak Winner Boards
Winner Board 9910-9923
Shortest steak time 17:00.
9912 2/11/21 Rainer Arce 42:28 260 47 Eastvale, CA Nailed it!!!
9913 2/16/21 Patrick Kio 59:53 230 34 Kentuky Oooph!...
9914 2/17/21 Billy Fisher 55:12 340 35 Jax, FL Casual dining...Yum
9915 2/17/21 Lamarr Stouall 49:58 242 27 Fort Vayne
9916 2/19/21 Eric Norvell 35:30 350 47 Boyd, TX God is Great, give the big steak a go, very easy
9917 2/27/21 Brain Olson 59:25 240 70 N Marker, MN
9918 2/27/21 Edward Soloway 58:56 225 51 Pasaderva, TX That was really hard, OMFG, WTF
9919 3/2/21 Al Carroll 56:21 380 29 Iowa, LA Im goin home
9920 3/10/21 Nick Lemire 34:46 350 43 CaliforniaVery good steak!
9921 3/10/21 Steven Thorkelsen 51:40 230 33 Houston, TX Second largest amount of meat in my mouth!
9922 3/12/21 Vincent Paterno 53:40 195 27 Aledo, TX Good enough for who it’s for!!
9923 3/12/21 Moses Mitchell 31:39 250 36 Alburquerque, NM
9924 3/13/21 Alexander Puttonen 17:00 290 24 Liexon AL Pretty good would do again
9925 3/13/21 Ernest Colmenero 55:13 285 39 Makinney, TX
72oz Steak History
The Legend Continues…
Soon after the original Route 66 Big Texan open it’s doors in 1960, owner Bob (RJ) Lee was amazed at how many REAL Texas Cowboys, were coming in for his HUGE TEXAS SIZE STEAKS, that his menu offered. He also saw how much fun his out of town patrons & visitors were having watching these true Texans trying to “out do” each others carnivorous appetites.
Most of his Big Cowboys dinners came from a near-by stockyard operation, & would stop in after a long days work. Friday’s was payday at the stockyard & he would cash their paychecks & offer 25 cent beer.
One Friday, he put several tables together in the center of the dinning room & sat all the cowboys together & told them he wanted to see who could eat the most one pound steaks in an hour. The cost was $5 per eater & whoever ate the most got to keep the entire entry-fee
The rules were simple; you could not get up during the contest or have anyone help you eat, you did not have to eat the fat & if you got sick, you were out. The cowboys put in their money,took a seat & the contest was on, steaks were flying.
One of the eaters took the lead by swallowing two steaks in ten minutes.Next,he politely requested a salad & a shrimp cocktail be served with his third steak. He consumed the extras, then this soft spoken giant called for his fourth steak & ask for a baked potato & a bread roll. He wasted little time on devouring those items & called for his fifth steak.
As the hour contest came to an end, this gastronomic superman had eaten:
4 & 1/2 pounds of steak, (which is 72 oz’s) baked potato,shrimp cocktail,salad & a bread roll.
In his amazement & delight of the crowd, Owner Bob (RJ) Lee stood up on a chair in the middle of the dinning room to proclaimed that: “from this day forward, anyone who could eat the entire 72 oz dinner-in one hour– gets it for FREE.
On that date in 1962 the legendary 72oz Steak Challenge was born & to this date the contests stands strong.
Watch guest eat the 72oz on our 24/7 live stream or on our Youtube channel!
Upcoming Featured Eaters
Watch upcoming 72oz Steak Challengers that represent a school, organization or nonprofit.
- No feature eaters scheduled
Want to be a Featured Eater?
Are you a professional competitive eater? We are always looking for unique 72oz Challengers to be featured in the restaurant as well as the live stream! If you qualify, we will hold a spot for you at the challenge table and schedule your attempt. Keep in mind, most individual will not qualify to be a Featured Eater. However, walk in challenges are available during regular business hours if you do not qualify. If we feel that you qualify, we will contact you in 2-3 business days to schedule your attempt. Fill out the information below and we will review it.