Hall of Fame
See all the 72oz steak winners from 1960 to present day!
72oz Steak Best Moments
Steak Challenge Rules
Challenge Includes: Shrimp Cocktail, Baked Potato, Salad, with Roll, Butter, and of course the 72oz Steak
1. Entire meal must be completed in one hour. If any of the meal is not consumed (swallowed)…YOU LOSE!
2. Before the time starts, you will be allowed to cut into the steak, and take one bite. If the steak tastes good and is cooked to your satisfaction, we will start the time upon your acceptable approval. The time will not stop, and the contest is on, so make SURE before you say “yes.”
3. Once you have started you are not allowed to stand up, leave your table, or have anyone else TOUCH the meal.
4. You will be disqualified if anyone assists you in cutting, preparing or eating of your meal. This is YOUR contest.
5. You don’t have to eat the fat, but we will judge this.
6. Should you become ill, the contest is over… YOU LOSE! (Please use the container provided as necessary.)
7. You are required to pay the full amount up front; if you win we will refund 100%.
8.You must sit at a table that we assign.
9. If you do not win the steak challenge, you are welcome to take the leftovers with you.
10. No consumption or sharing of the leftovers is allowed in the restaurant once the contest is over.
11. If you fail to complete the challenge, you must pay the full $72 dollars.
Watch guest eat the 72oz steak live!
The Legend Continues…
Most of his Big Cowboys dinners came from a near-by stockyard operation, & would stop in after a long days work. Friday’s was payday at the stockyard & he would cash their paychecks & offer 25 cent beer.
One Friday, he put several tables together in the center of the dinning room & sat all the cowboys together & told them he wanted to see who could eat the most one pound steaks in an hour. The cost was $5 per eater & whoever ate the most got to keep the entire entry-fee
The rules were simple; you could not get up during the contest or have anyone help you eat, you did not have to eat the fat & if you got sick, you were out. The cowboys put in their money,took a seat & the contest was on, steaks were flying.
One of the eaters took the lead by swallowing two steaks in ten minutes.Next,he politely requested a salad & a shrimp cocktail be served with his third steak. He consumed the extras, then this soft spoken giant called for his fourth steak & ask for a baked potato & a bread roll. He wasted little time on devouring those items & called for his fifth steak.
As the hour contest came to an end, this gastronomic superman had eaten:
4 & 1/2 pounds of steak, (which is 72 oz’s) baked potato,shrimp cocktail,salad & a bread roll.
In his amazement & delight of the crowd, Owner Bob (RJ) Lee stood up on a chair in the middle of the dinning room to proclaimed that: “from this day forward, anyone who could eat the entire 72 oz dinner-in one hour– gets it for FREE.
On that date in 1962 the legendary 72oz Steak Challenge was born & to this date the contests stands strong.