The world famous 72-ounce steak challenge!
You do not need to make reservation for challenge attempts. When you’re ready, we’re ready! Challenge attempts available during all regular business hours. 72-ounce Steak Dinner Challenge Includes: Shrimp Cocktail, Baked Potato, Salad, with Roll, Butter, and of course the 72oz Steak
72-ounce Steak Challenge Rules
1. Entire meal must be completed in one hour. If any of the meal is not consumed (swallowed)…YOU LOSE!
2. Before the time starts, you will be allowed to cut into the steak, and take one bite. If the steak tastes good and is cooked to your satisfaction, we will start the time upon your acceptable approval. The time will not stop, and the contest is on, so make SURE before you say “yes.”
3. Once you have started you are not allowed to stand up, leave your table, or have anyone else TOUCH the meal.
4. You will be disqualified if anyone assists you in cutting, preparing or eating of your meal. This is YOUR contest.
5. You don’t have to eat the fat, but we will judge this.
6. Should you become ill, the contest is over… YOU LOSE! (Please use the container provided as necessary.)
7. You are required to pay the full amount up front; if you win we will refund 100%.
8.You must sit at a table that we assign.
9. If you do not win the steak challenge, you are welcome to take the leftovers with you.
10. No consumption or sharing of the leftovers is allowed in the restaurant once the contest is over.
11. If you fail to complete the challenge, you must pay the full $72 dollars.
Big texan 72-ounce Steak Seasoning
Our personal blend of spices that we use at the Big Texan our 72-ounce steaks at the restaurant. Only sold at the Big Texan Gift Shop in Amarillo Texas.
The world famous 72-ounce steak challenge!
You do not need to make reservation for challenge attempts. When you’re ready, we’re ready! Challenge attempts available during all regular business hours. 72-ounce Steak Dinner Challenge Includes: Shrimp Cocktail, Baked Potato, Salad, with Roll, Butter, and of course the 72oz Steak.
Statistics and winner boards last updated 7/18/2023.
- Percentage of Winners 11% 11%
Number of 72-ounce Steak Champions
Number of 72-ounce Steak Attempts
Hall of fame
72-ounce Steak History
How America’s favorite food challenge came to be!
The Legend Continues…
Soon after the original Route 66 Big Texan open it’s doors in 1960, owner Bob (RJ) Lee was amazed at how many REAL Texas Cowboys, were coming in for his HUGE TEXAS SIZE STEAKS, that his menu offered. He also saw how much fun his out of town patrons & visitors were having watching these true Texans trying to “out do” each others carnivorous appetites.
Most of his Big Cowboys dinners came from a near-by stockyard operation, & would stop in after a long days work. Friday’s was payday at the stockyard & he would cash their paychecks & offer 25 cent beer.
One Friday, he put several tables together in the center of the dinning room & sat all the cowboys together & told them he wanted to see who could eat the most one pound steaks in an hour. The cost was $5 per eater & whoever ate the most got to keep the entire entry-fee
The rules were simple; you could not get up during the contest or have anyone help you eat, you did not have to eat the fat & if you got sick, you were out. The cowboys put in their money,took a seat & the contest was on, steaks were flying.
One of the eaters took the lead by swallowing two steaks in ten minutes.Next,he politely requested a salad & a shrimp cocktail be served with his third steak. He consumed the extras, then this soft spoken giant called for his fourth steak & ask for a baked potato & a bread roll. He wasted little time on devouring those items & called for his fifth steak.
As the hour contest came to an end, this gastronomic superman had eaten:
4 & 1/2 pounds of steak, (which is 72 oz’s) baked potato,shrimp cocktail,salad & a bread roll.
In his amazement & delight of the crowd, Owner Bob (RJ) Lee stood up on a chair in the middle of the dinning room to proclaimed that: “from this day forward, anyone who could eat the entire 72 oz dinner-in one hour– gets it for FREE.
On that date in 1962 the legendary 72oz Steak Challenge was born & to this date the contests stands strong.
Featured Events & upcoming Things to do
Upcoming events in Amarillo.
Shop Route 66 & Texas Products
Shop from the widest selection of Route 66 & Texas products in the Big Texan gift shop.
Palo Duro HorseBack Riding
See the beauty and ruggedness of Palo Duro Canyon State Park close up.